Wednesday, June 14, 2000

To Fethiye via Marmaris

I looked for breakfast at the wharf restaurants but the one I wanted wasn't open. What was the use of the placard outside if they weren't doing business? Maybe it was too early in the season. I didn't fancy sweet cakes for breakfast so I ended up with brioche from a patisserie which turned out to be day old and tough. Oh well, as least it filled the stomach. Early morning street life: A dog was bullying a bitch with a limp. Or maybe they were trying to mate.

The bus took the reverse of the trip I had made two days ago. Back on the mainland I had a stopover at Marmaris. Culture shock compared to DatçaMarmaris is a bustling port city and frequent tourist destination. The bazaar was chock-full of tourist trinkets. Foreign faces were everywhere you looked. Near the harbour I wandered into a supermarket/shopping centre. It sold a lot of sailing provisions; quite telling. It was hot in the midday sun. It seems that this statue of Atatürk has since been embellished with a fountain.


I caught a shuttle back to the otogar to avoid walking uphill. The service to Fethiye was an infrequent one so the bus was small. The road was sinuous so it took us 3 hours to cover about 100 km. I wasted time looking for the pansion. Maybe it was a victim of the economic downturn. I gave up and took a room at the Hotel Plaza. A great price: 7 million TL including breakfast and air-con, which would come in handy. At the wharf I noted prices for a half-day cruise. It was already late by then so I had a kebap dinner at an alfresco restaurant on a pedestrian street, then retired to watch TV and get rested for adventure the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment